I had this soup at an Italian restaurant on Valentine’s day. You know the story of the soup. Here it is if you missed that post. So although the soup-selection was the first fiasco in a long list of fiascos (on Vday, no less), it was nevertheless delicious.
I couldn’t wait to try it out. The bell peppers gave a rich red colour to the otherwise humble tomato soup. Paired with toast, it made for a pretty filling dinner.Here’s my recipe.
Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato Soup
3 large tomatoes
2 large red bell peppers – chopped into large chunks
1 large onion – chopped
1/2 cup low fat milk (optional)
A few sprigs of fresh basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
3 – 4 cloves of garlic – chopped
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Salt to taste
1. Immerse tomatoes completely in a pot full of water and boil till the skin begins to separate. Set aside to cool.
2. In a thin-bottomed pan, add a teaspoon full of olive oil and saute the bell pepper on high flame till they scorch slightly.
3. De-skin tomatoes and chop in half. Retain the juices.
4. Puree the chopped onion, de-skinned tomatoes, garlic and bell peppers.
5. Transfer the puree to a pot, add parsley, finely chopped basil, (milk – optional) and bring to a boil. Add salt and sugar to taste.
6. Garnish with sprigs of basil and serve.